“How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.”
– Annie Dillard
Our dreams require us to invest our most valuable currency: our time. Unlike money, which flows out and back routinely in our lives, time never returns to us. Once spent, it’s gone.
To spend time well, we must be clear about our purpose.
You and I must ensure that whatever dream we’re building aligns with who we truly feel called to be, and how we authentically feel called to contribute.
At the outset of dream-building, people often ask, “Am I worthy of my dream?” I offer you this instead: “Is my dream worthy of me?” If your dream is right for you, it will be worthy of your time here in this precious and unrepeatable life.
Even a long life is brief; how each one of us invests our minutes, hours, and days is paramount to our fulfillment.
As I enter the final stages of bringing a book into the world, I find myself returning to a core sense of purpose. When things are busy and new challenges arise, I remind myself of all the ways my own dream aligns with my inner Why. When that alignment occurs, I am willing to do what it takes to bring it into form. Do I do it perfectly? No. The point is not perfection; it’s focused action. It’s growth and expansion. It’s contribution. It’s that simple.
But it’s not always easy.
As much as we may love our Vision, we must also learn to be skillful in executing the steps to manifest it. Working with a coach not only helps, but accelerates that process.
My mentor once told me there’s no such thing as managing time. We must manage activities.
We don’t have to prosper in one area of life at the expense of all the others. We can commit to a dream and still be committed to living in harmony. Our health, relationships, time and money freedom, and career are all vital parts of a harmonious whole.
In that spirit, I offer you one of my favorite episodes of Marie Forleo’s Marie TV. Here she unpacks the “big rocks” metaphor beautifully to explain how to plan and schedule effectively. As my coaching clients know, calendarizing is an important key to making dreams into realities. I love helping people make desired changes and see measurable results through focused planning and action.
I also offer you a Business Insider article by psychologist Suzanne Gelb on strategies highly successful achievers use for maximizing efforts without sacrificing what’s most important.
From my coaching home base, The Life Mastery Institute, here are five questions that will help you determine whether or not your dream is right for you. Use this list at the beginning of any new venture to ensure you’re on the right path; then, when challenges arrive, you’ll be willing to do what it takes to persist. The answer to each question must be a “Yes” for your dream to pass.
5-Point Test for Your Dream
- Do you feel passion for your dream? When you’ve chosen the right dream you will feel emotionally connected to your dream. Thinking about your dream will give you an expanded sense of aliveness.
- Does the dream align with your core values? Your dream must align with your core values in order for it to manifest. If your dream is in conflict with your values, you will find yourself blocked when it comes to bringing it into form. Part of you will resist.
- Does your dream cause you to grow?
- Do you need help from a Higher Power? Define that term any way you like. If you know all the steps to bring your dream to fruition, it’s not a big enough dream. Dreams are the Universe’s way of helping us grow and expand ourselves.
- Is there good in your dream for others? The Universe is always seeking expansion, and a dream that is aligned with your true self will always include some good for others.
Your mind may play host to a myriad of wishes, but you need to distinguish your deepest desire from whims and passing fancies.
You are endowed with the power to choose the dream that is closest to your heart, and by co-creating with Life itself, you can embark on a path that will manifest that dream.
To Your Highest Life,
P.S. Want support in discovering and building your dreams?
In between my coaching, writing, and speaking schedule, I carve out a few strategy sessions each month. If you would like a complimentary strategy session (Value = $250), simply contact me here.